Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Value of Friendship

A cheerful friend is like a sunny day. Unknown Author

My mind must have been going crazy as I was laid back on the couch watching the fan spinning lazily to the summer heat. So many things were going through my mind all at once. Bills that have to be paid, exams that are closing in daily as if they were a few hours left. Yet it was a weekend. A time to relax and reflect back on past week enjoying the feeling of having accomplished work. This was not the case with me on this particular day. Who would have guessed an Impromptu dance might just be in the making. That must have been one of the worst dance moves I have seen in all my years. You could imagine Rambo or that good machine from Terminator, Judgment day the movie dancing to some soul jams. Hilarious right? A good friend of mine during one of my weekend visits just started dancing around the room to some Anthony Hamilton in the background. That must have been the most annoying thing besides that it didn’t qualify to be called a dance. “Dude what the hell was that all about?” Nevertheless I found myself back in the high school spirits laughing and cheering on like I still lived under my parents’ roof. The atmosphere was much lighter and cheerful. Pheeeeew!! This temporary escapade took my mind off things for a while. They have not been solved people, they are still there. Just that this time I tackle them on a positive notes and in good spirits. My face still has traces of a fully blown laugh and my eyes are still teary as I couldn’t get myself to stop. I mean wow! I definitely don’t feel like this an hour earlier. I’m a new man. I got friends to cheer me up when am feeling down. Always do likewise yourself.

At certain times you feel so alone. So by yourself. Nothing like lonely though. You are surrounded by people and yet you still feel like an alien in your own world. Despite this you find it better to keep it that way because there could be some things that are bothering you or just not in the mood for stuff. Most of the time you tend to let you and your friends drift away from each other. You prefer to be alone as it feels like nobody really understands and therefore they do not care. If they do not understand does it mean they don’t care?? Do you really think this qualifies to actually ask yourselves questions about the loyalty of your relationship over the years? My guess is they actually do care. They have been with you through these years. Think about all the times you have heard with your mates doing nothing serious besides engaging yourselves into some serious “joke and laugh”. Nothing else matters at those times. It’s only when you are part of a happy team that you can sense your purpose in life and be in a position to do some good moves with your life. It doesn’t have to be serious all the time. Try team activities.

One of those afternoons whilst having lunch I got a call and the details, spare me, am not even in the mood to discuss that yet... But who would have guessed that I would meet one of my friends who doesn’t talk so much as compared to how much I talk. At first I thought, “This really is bad news. I need some quite. I need to go somewhere far from anybody and everything. Go to a place I don’t care.” After the usual protocols of “hi, how are you thing”, we got to some “so what’s the plan thing.” It all started with “Oh man, this must be the worst day of my life….” I went on and on about what the matter and I couldn’t get myself to stop. I noticed I was saying an awful lot of things in such a short time. At the same time I was wondering why does this person have to be hearing all this which doesn’t concern them and what exactly can they do about it? I was wrong, he is my friend and he deserves the verbal abuse. What a relief! My problem has not been solved but a burden feels like it has been taken from me. Everything went on that day like there had never been a problem. A good friend brings back the laughter in you. They irritate you so much at times you don’t have time to worry about your little problems. They add salt to the injury until there’s no point in whining about it. It’s at times that they are away that we miss those little things and how much they were a part of our lives.

Sometimes there is not really much to do but you can just sit there and talk about everything and anything. Disguise what really bothering you into funny little remarks and comments every now and then. Whichever way it is as relieving as letting it out as it is. Point is you need a friend.

Once again its time i leave you to ponder on that!

Catch you on the other side!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

s good word man, i like stretching ma brains further most tyms but to my surprises i neva tried out balance tis one on my seesaw, but ight thanks the bread n batter, i no the side! anyways ma point s most of us,the communities we jus leave wit each other like our pets r cars, uno like something u have to care for,maybe feed n love without much seeing beings are more complex in nature so need different approach, the thing s we got great aspect than all( communication),only thru that we can define our progrss and resolves barriers in a toss f a coin,lets not let tat headsets, net, all entertainment industry robber us our wel being, brothr tats inspiring..!

Mbaki said...

Well, said yo! The value of life has been and is slowly being eroded along by the advancement of all this bridges we buliding to meet one another. But bridges really?? Man-made??

Post a Comment